• Born in 1956
• In 1982, after graduating from the École Nationale d’Administration, Stéphane Martin joined the Cour des Comptes (Court of Auditors), where he became Conseiller Maître (Chief Counsellor) in September 2000.
• From 1986 to 1989, he was President of the Commission for the Audit and Control of Public Institutions and a member of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Senegal.
• From 1989, Stéphane Martin’s career centred on the world of culture, communication and research.
He was successively appointed as:
- Executive Officer of the Centre Georges Pompidou (1989-90);
- Assistant Director of Music at Radio France (1990-93);
- Assistant Director of the cabinet of Jacques Toubon at the Ministry of Culture and Francophonie (1993);
- Director of Music and Dance at the Ministry of Culture and Francophonie (1993-95);
- Director of the cabinet of Philippe Douste-Blazy at the Ministry of Culture and Communication (1995-97);
- Director of the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco (1997-1998)
• From 1997 to 2009, he was President of the Ensemble Intercontemporain.
• In December 1998, Stéphane Martin was appointed President of the public institution of the musée du quai Branly.
• In 2011, he wrote the book “Musée du Quai Branly – Là où dialoguent les cultures”, which relates the history of the creation of the musée du quai Branly (Collection Découvertes Gallimard, n° 574, Série Culture et Société).
* Officer in the National Order of the Legion of Honour
* Officer in the National Order of Merit
* Commander in the Order of Arts and Letters
* Commander in the Orders of the Lion and of Merit of Senegal
* Officer of the Order of Merit (Poland)