mamela nyamza and the kids of soweto
The choreographer and performer Mamela Nyamza and a group of young dancers from Soweto, Soweto’s Finest, present a new style of South African urban dance.
from thursday 3 to friday 11 october 2013
- Show at the musée du quai Branly
- Event held as part of Saisons Afrique du Sud France 2012 & 2013
- With the Festival d'Automne à Paris
The five kids of Soweto’s Finest dance the sbuja, a dance that has arisen in response to the pantsula. Borrowed from “bourgeois” French, the sbuja, referring to the idea of elegance, uses the entire body, with a very expressive face, contorting like a traditional mask.
Five virtuoso dancers influenced by the traditional African dances of the Zulu and Tsonja. The youngest dancer is 18 and still at school. The eldest, Tomas Bongani Gumede, is 26; he is the leader of the group. They have never performed outside South Africa.
This project is one of the first attempts in South Africa to bring together different concepts of dance, merging contemporary dance, performance and new urban dance. It will also demonstrate that these popular dances are shaped by tradition, yet have also integrated more contemporary art forms.
With support from Institut Français, L'Espace des Arts – Scène Nationale de Chalon-sur-Saône and La Maison de la Danse de Lyon.
Recording of the show
Released Friday 4 October on Arte Live Web.
- Thursday 3 and 10 October at 20:00
- Friday 4 and 11 October at 20:00
- Saturday 5 October at 20:00
- Sunday 6 October at 17:00
- Wednesday 9 October at 19:00
- €20 (full price) / €15 (reduced price)
- Tickets to the show also provide access to the museum's permanent collections on the same day.
- musée du quai Branly : 01 56 61 71 72 Monday to Friday 10:00 to 16:30
- Festival d'Automne in Paris : +33 (0)1 53 45 17 17
dance demonstrations: saturday 5 and sunday 6 october
Discover the new urban dance from South Africa, the sbuja, with demonstrations by Soweto’s Finest in the museum entrance hall.
- Saturday at 16:00 and Sunday at 15:00
- Free entry subject to availability
encounter with mamela nyamza and soweto's finest
- At the end of the show on Thursday 10 October