Discover today’s contemporary Singapore creation
8th-10th October, 29th-31st October and 18th-28th November 2010
welcome to the Peranakan's
All Saint's Day in Singapore
from Saturday October 23rd to Sunday October 31st 2010
During the Baba Bling exhibition, Interior signs of wealth in Singapore, the Museum invites you to live an exceptional week with Singapore’s Chinese Diaspora....
The Peranakan are the descendents from the first Chinese immigrants established in the British colonies. Their name means “born here” in Malay. Slip into the colorful and mixed world of this stunning culture!
Organized with the Peranakan museum of Singapore, this week will take you to the heart of the Peranakan culture: introduction to traditional dancing, batik and embroidery demonstrations, Peranakan food specialty tasting, narrated visits and workshops… every excuse is a good pretext to explore the culture! Singapore is the quintessential city of cultural mixing and as such, most activities will be conducted in English and in French.
Free activities subject to availability (excludes the museum ticket for the exhibition and Perenakan beading workshop)
discover the BABA BLING exhibition with children
BABA NARRATED VISIT
B.A, Ba, Baba: young curious minds explore the Peranakan house, its colurful objects, multicultural objects and stories.
families with children (3 years and up) - length : 1 hour - language: French only
* Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th, Monday 25th, Wednesday 27th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October, 11:30 am.
SINGAPORE NARRATED VISIT
Discover a fascinating culture in which Chinese, European and Malay styles mix in a fascinating cultural, artistic and spiritual blend of influences.
families with children (6 years and up) - length: 1 hour - language: French only
* Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th, Monday 25th, Wednesday 27th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October, 2:30 pm
GLOBETROTTERS WORKSHOP – BABA ETIQUETTE
In Singapore, globetrotters study the sometimes baffling rules, of good manners in the Chinese community. They will discover the everyday life of the Baba and a reception during which they will act as sophisticated heads of household.
children 6 years and up - length : 1 hour 30 mins - language: French only
* Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October, 2 pm. and 3:30 pm
* From Monday 25th to Friday 29th October inclusive, 3 pm
workshops and courses
Peranakan cuisine demonstrations
Great chefs straight from Singapore will present authentic ingredients and delicious Peranakan dishes.
on the 23rd et 24th: Benjamin Seck
from the 27th to 29th: Christopher Tan
on the 30th and 31st: Sylvia Tan
all ages - length : 1 hour
* * Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th, Wednesday 27th, Thursday 28th, Friday 29th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October, 12:30 pm, 2:30 pm and 4:30 pm
* exceptional sessions for adults: Saturday 23rd, Thursday 28th, Friday 29th and Sunday 31st October 6:30 pm.
Visitors and their families discover the traditional batik dyeing technique, in an activity full of fun and discovery.
all ages- length: 1 hour
* Saturday 23rd to Sunday 31st October, noon, 1 pm, 2:30 pm, 3:30 pm and 5 pm.
TRADITIONAL PERANAKAN CRAFT WORKSHOP
Learn about original craft techniques like pottery, stencil and ceramic painting. You might bring home a handmade souvenir inspired by motifs and objects typical of Peranakan homes.
*pottery (clay): Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th, Wednesday 27th, Friday 29th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October: 1 pm to 6 pm.
* stencil: Monday 25th, Wednesday 27th, Friday 29th and Sunday 31st October: 1 pm to 6 pm.
* ceramic painting: Tuesday 26th, Thursday 28th and Saturday 30th October: 1 pm to 6 pm.
BEADING PERANAKAN COURSE
Discover Peranakan beading art in three sessions. Bebe Seet, eminent Singapore specialist, will teach you the basics of looming beads. You will take home your own creation!
adults – 3 x 3 hour sessions
* Friday 29th October, 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm, Saturday 30th October, 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm and Sunday 31st October, 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
price: 90€ full price/ 75€ reduced price
More on Peranakan beading course
Discover this traditional art with an artist specialized in Peranakan batik. Watch the dyeing, waxing and chiffon dyeing technique and be surprised by the colorful motifs!
All ages – Hall of the Claude Lévi-Strauss Theater
*Non-stop Sunday 24th, Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th, Wednesday 27th and Sunday 31st October from noon to 5:30 pm and until 7 pm on Thursday 28th, Friday 29th and Saturday 30th October
PERANAKAN EMBROIDERY DEMONSTRATION
Admire the skill required to achieve these embroidered and beaded masterpieces and learn the technique prized by the Peranakan. You will also discover some ancient pieces from Bebe Seet’s collection.
All ages – Hall of the Claude Lévi-Strauss Theater
* Non-stop Sunday 24th, Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th, Wednesday 27th and Sunday 31st October from 1 pm to 6:30 pm, and until 7 pm on Thursday 28th, Friday 29th and Saturday 30th October.
Fun face painting for children and adults, with traditional lucky designs: peony, dragon and phoenix painted by a Singapore artist.
All ages - Hall of the Claude Lévi-Strauss theater
* Saturday 23rd to Sunday 31st October from 1 pm to 6 pm
TRADITIONAL PERANAKAN WEDDING CEREMONY
The Peranakan wedding procession is a unique opportunity to watch a live ceremony known for its splendid costumes. Join the celebrations and learn to dance the joget like the Singapore Peranakan.
all ages – museum hall - length: 30 min
Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th, Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th and Wednesday 27th October, 2 pm, 3:30 pm and 5 pm
CONTEMPORARY MOVIE CREATION
The musée du quai Branly offers a selection of three movies, emblematic of contemporary movie creation. All movies are in the original languages with French subtitles.
- The Blue Mansion, Glen Goei (2009, 100 min)
Friday October 29th, 2:30 pm and Sunday October 31st, 5 pm
- Here, Ho Tzen Nyen (2009, 86 min)
Friday October 29th, 5 pm and Saturday October 30th, 2:30 pm
- 881, Royston Tan (2007, 90 min)
Saturday October 30th, 5 pm. and Sunday October 31st, 2:30 pm
Two conferences will allow you to discover the history of the Singapore Chinese and the evolution of the traditional dress, the Kebaya.
“I am Baba” is a stroll through the identity and origins of nine Chinese Peranakan generations.
"Sarong & Kebaya”: the Chinese woman and five centuries of international style.
all ages - length : 1 hour - location : cinema theater
* Wednesday 27th October, 3 pm and 5 pm.