Discover today’s contemporary Singapore creation
8-10 October, 29-31 October and 18-28 November 2010
welcome to the Peranakan's
all saint's Day in Singapore
from Saturday October 23rd to Sunday October 31st 2010
During the Baba Bling exhibition, Interior signs of wealth in Singapore, the museum invites you on an exceptional week with Singapore’s Chinese Diaspora....
The Peranakan are the descendents from the first Chinese immigrants to the British colonies. Their name means “born here” in Malay. Slip into the colourful and blended world of this stunning culture!
Organized with the Peranakan museum of Singapore, this week will take you to the heart of the Peranakan culture : introduction to traditional dancing, batik and embroidery demonstrations, Peranakan food specialty tasting, narrated visits and workshops… every excuse is good to explore! Singapore being the quintessential city of cultural blending, most activities will be conducted in English and in French.
Free activities subject to availability (excluding museum ticket for the exhibition and Perenakan beading workshop)
discover the BABA BLING exhibition with children
BABA NARRATED VISIT
B.A, Ba, Baba : young curious minds explore the Peranakan house, its colourful objects, multicultural objects and stories.
families with children (3 years and up) - length : 1h -language : French only
* Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th, Monday 25th, Wednesday 27th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October, 11:30 a.m.
SINGAPORE NARRATED VISIT
Discover a fascinating culture in which Chinese, European and Malay styles mix in a fascinating cultural, artistic and spiritual blend of influences.
families with children (6 years and up) - length : 1h - language : French only
* Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th, Monday 25th, Wednesday 27th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31 October, 2:30 p.m
GLOBETROTTERS WORKSHOP – BABA ETIQUETTE
In Singapore, globetrotters study the rules, sometimes baffling, of good manners in the Chinese community. They will discover the Baba everyday life and a reception during which they will act as sophisticated heads of household.
children 6 years and up- length : 1h30 - language : French only
* Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October, 2 p.m. and 3:30
* From Monday 25th to Friday 29th October inclusive, 3 p.m
workshops and courses
Peranakan cuisine demonstrations
Great chefs straight from Singapore will present authentic ingredients and delicious Peranakan dishes.
on the 23 et 24th: Benjamin Seck
from the 27 to 29th: Christopher Tan
on the 30th and 31st: Sylvia Tan
all ages - length : 1h
* * Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th, Wednesday 27th, Thursday 28th, Friday 29th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October, 12:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m
* exceptional sessions for adults : Saturday 23rd, Thursday 28th, Friday 29th and Sunday 31st October 6:30 p.m.
Visitors and their families discover the traditional batik dyeing technique, in an activity full of fun and discovery.
all ages- length : 1h
* Saturday 23rd to Sunday 31st October, noon, 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 5 p.m.
TRADITIONAL PERANAKAN CRAFT WORKSHOP
Learn about original craft techniques like pottery, stencil and ceramic painting. You might bring home a handmade souvenir inspired by motifs and objects typical of Peranakan homes.
*pottery (clay) : Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th, Wednesday 27th, Friday 29th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st October : 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
* stencil : Monday 25th, Wednesday 27th, Friday 29th and Sunday 31st October : 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
* ceramic painting : Tuesday 26th, Thursday 28th and Saturday 30th October: 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
BEADING PERANAKAN COURSE
Discover Peranakan beading art in three sessions. Bebe Seet, eminent Singapore specialist, will teach you the basics of looming beads. You will take home your own creation!
adults – 3 x 3 hour sessions
* Friday 29th October, 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Saturday 30th October, 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Sunday 31st October, 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
tariffs : 90€ full tariff/ 75€ reduced tariff
More on Peranakan beading course
Discover this traditional art with an artist specializing in Peranakan batik. Watch the dying, waxing and chiffon dyeing technique and be surprised by the colourful motifs!
All ages – Hall of the Claude Lévi-Strauss theatre
*Non-stop Sunday 24th, Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th, Wednesday 27th and Sunday 31st October from noon to 5:30 p.m. and until 7 p.m. on Thursday 28th, Friday 29th and Saturday 30th October
PERANAKAN EMBROIDERY DEMONSTRATION
Admire the skill required to achieve these embroidered and beaded masterpieces and learn this technique, prized by the Peranakan. You will also discover some ancient pieces from Bebe Seet’s collection.
All ages – Hall of the Claude Lévi-Strauss theatre
* Non-stop Sunday 24th, Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th, Wednesday 27th and Sunday 31st October from 1 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., and until 7 p.m. on Thursday 28th, Friday 29th and Saturday 30th October.
Fun face painting for children and adults, with traditional lucky designs: peony, dragon and phoenix painted by a Singapore artist.
All ages - Hall of the Claude Lévi-Strauss theatre
* Saturday 23rd to Sunday 31st October de 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
TRADITIONAL PERANAKAN WEDDING CEREMONY
The Peranakan, wedding procession is a unique opportunity to watch live a ceremony known for its splendid costumes. Join the celebrations and learn to dance the joget like the Singapore Peranakan.
all ages – museum hall - length : 30 min
Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th, Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th and Wednesday 27th October, 2 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 5 p.m
CONTEMPORARY MOVIE CREATION
The musée du quai Branly offers a selection of three movies, staples of contemporary movie creation. All movies are in original version with French subtitles.
- The Blue Mansion, Glen Goei (2009, 100 min)
Friday 29th October, 2:30 p.m. and Sunday 31st October, 5 p.m
- Here, Ho Tzen Nyen (2009, 86 min)
Friday 29th October, 5 p.m. and Saturday 30th October, 2:30 p.m.
- 881, Royston Tan (2007, 90 min)
Saturday 30th October, 5 p.m. and Sunday 31st October, 2:30 p.m.
Two conferences will make you discover the history of the Singapore Chinese and the evolution of the traditional costume, the Kebaya.
“I am Baba” is a meandering through the identity and origins of nine Chinese Peranakan generations.
"Sarong & Kebaya”: the Chinese woman and five centuries of international style.
all ages - length : 1h - location : cinema theater
* Wednesday 27th October, 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.