Scholarships for a collections study
Scholarships for a collections study 2014-2015
Call for applications
The Musée du quai Branly has implemented a scholarship program to document its collections. The scholarship’s purpose is the funding of field investigations and/or documentation on the museum’s collections on the arts of Africa, Asia, Oceania and of the Americas.
Five scholarships of up to 6,000 euros are offered for 2014-2015. One of them, the Cercle Lévi-Strauss scholarship, is financed by the Amis du musée du quai Branly ; the four others by the department of heritage and collections and by the department of research and education.
The monies are intended to cover the costs of a field investigation and/or of archival work to document the museum’s collections, as well as the analysis and writing required to present the results of the research work. Research may pertain to a single work, a series of objects or images (stamps, photos, etc.) a collection, an archival group (including audio archives) or ancient documents.
These scholarships will be granted following an international call for applications. Files will be assessed by a scientific committee comprising academics and curators. Students and academics at the M2 (MA) level or higher are eligible, as well as extra-academic scholars.
Applicants must have a recognized expertise in the processing and analyzing of non European collections or significant experience in art history, ethnography or archaeology.
The recipients will be affiliated to the museum during their research. They will have access to the media library and the muséothèque and will have the support of the department of heritage and collections and of the department of research and education.
Following the scholarship, within three months, the recipient will be required to present a research paper describing the outcome of his or her work, to be published on the museum’s website (in French or English). In addition, he or she will partner with the curators of the collections pertaining to the research to enrich the documentary databases of the museum.
Requirements for foreign recipients (non UE citizens)
For foreign applicants (non UE citizens) and under some conditions, a scientific visa will allow the applicant to engage in a research activity in France without having to obtain a work permit, provided the researcher has an agreement signed by the hosting institution. This document constitutes the equivalent of an authorization to work in France.
Such hosting agreements with foreign researchers can be signed by the musée du quai Branly, thus allowing them to apply for a scientific visa prior to their arrival in France. However, the applicants should consult the relevant authorities in their country of origin to get information about the necessary steps with regard to their personal situation.
Once equipped with a document signed by the musée du quai Branly, the recipients can then engage in the administrative formalities to obtain the scientific visa and file an application for a visa at the Consulate of France in the country of origin.
Amount and terms of payment of the allowance received by the recipients
- Ph-D students recipients: 6000 euros net, payable in one instalment, without charge, not subject to tax. The recipient will be required to present a research paper describing the outcome of his or her work, to be published on the museum’s website (in French or English). In addition, he or she will partner with the curators of the collections pertaining to the research to enrich the documentary databases of the museum.
- Other recipients (excluding Ph-D students): 6000 euros net of allowance payable in three instalments (60% - 30% - 10 %); subject to tax. The first instalment is conditioned by the submission of a report including the research program and the exact definition of the studied corpus. The second one is payable on presentation of a summary report on the research which aim is to enrich the documentary databases of the museum. For the last instalment, the recipient will be required to present a research paper describing the outcome of his or her work, to be published on the museum’s website (in French or English).
Contents of the file
The scholarship application file must contain:
- The application file, completed and signed (to be downloaded on http://www.quaibranly.fr/fr/enseignement/bourses/bourse )
- a curriculum vitae, outlining work experience and publications
- a brief research program (less than 15,000 characters) including a short description of previous research and a research proposal that will specify the subject (corpus, archival group or collection, geocultural area…), the proposed research aims (field work, scientific documentation…), the method and scientific scope of the project.
- the anticipated calendar of the project and an estimate of expenses.
- a recommendation letter from a recognized scientific figure. This letter must be addressed to the museum and sent separately. .
How to register an application
The application file and recommendation letter must be sent separately , before September 12st 2014:
- electronically: bourses-collections(at)quaibranly.fr
- by mail (addressed to ‘Candidature Bourse Documentation des collections’):
Etablissement public du musée du quai Branly
Département de la recherche et de l’enseignement
222 rue de l’Université
75343 Paris cedex 07
Announcements of results
The name of the recipients will be announced on the web site of the museum before mid-December 2014.
Bourse du Cercle Lévi-Strauss
La bourse du Cercle Lévi-Strauss, attribuée pour la première fois en 2010, s’inscrit désormais dans le programme de bourses des collections mis en place par le musée du quai Branly. Il s’agit d’une bourse de courte durée, financée par la Société des Amis et dotée d’un montant de 6000 euros. Elle est destinée à permettre à des chercheurs non statutaires ou des étudiants à partir du niveau M2 de financer une enquête de terrain ou un travail d’archives visant à documenter les collections du musée.
Un appel international à candidatures est lancé depuis le 12 juin 2014.
Lauréats des bourses des collections
- lauréats des bourses des collections 2013-2014
- lauréats des bourses des collections 2012-2013
- lauréats des bourses des collections 2011-2012
- lauréat de la bourse du Cercle Lévi-Strauss 2013-2014
- lauréat de la bourse du Cercle Lévi-Strauss 2012-2013
- lauréat de la bourse du Cercle Lévi-Strauss 2011-2012
- lauréat de la bourse du Cercle Lévi-Strauss 2010